We are not OK with it
I’m coming to realize that there are people that believe that they don’t deserve compassion. As you sit there, you might think that’s ridiculous because you know that God made each of us, so of course, we deserve compassion.
But then you start digging down into some specific situations and particular circumstances and you find, if you dig enough, that you believe you don’t deserve compassion in some area of life. Like the time you made a mistake or you acted poorly or went even further astray than that. All of a sudden you are thinking, since I am like X, I don’t deserve compassion.
That’s baggage. There’s a belief and some emotion hanging out with it. That baggage is interfering with the action of grace. Makes it harder for grace to penetrate you.
A large part of why we do what we do at The Catholic Midlife is that we have come to recognize the layers of the human person, the way they all work together, and the way that the mental and emotional life, and you could call it the unconscious life, is very connected with what’s going on in our spiritual life.
There’s a lot of research that says it’s connected to what’s going on in our physical life and in our bodies too.
These false beliefs, these mental patterns that cut us off from healing, that interfere with God’s action in our lives… It’s, it’s very sad.
We’re not okay with it.
We’re gonna do something about it. We are doing something about it. It’s a reason that we are here, now, in The Catholic Midlife podcast.
Mental Emotional Release (MER)
We offer a process called Mental Emotional Release (MER).
Because we all have baggage. It ranges from uncomfortable, and annoying, to burdensome, to crushing and paralyzing.
MER is a process that uses the language of the unconscious mind to release baggage. It speaks to your conscious and unconscious mind at the same time. Your conscious mind understands what’s happening, and because communication is simultaneously easy for the unconscious to understand, you can work with both at the same time. That’s why it’s fast, powerful, and effective.
MER is another way to find the release of baggage so healing and moving on can happen faster and more completely. Prayer and seeking to understand how your own baggage manifests are complementary ways of getting to the same thing. We pray we think, we consult with others, and we act.
MER is for you if :
- You don’t want to re-experience negative emotions as you seek healing
- You feel unresolved guilt, anger, sadness, fear, or hurt from past events that you are unable to release
- You ruminate on current or past situations and wish you could just let go of them
- You desire to act on certain things in your life and avoid or get blocked in creating the change you want
- You find yourself getting ‘triggered’ or responding in an unwarranted way to present situations
- You feel burdened by heavy emotions like fear, anxiety, or discouragement
- You can’t move on in your life and you don’t know how to change that
- You struggle to establish new habits or behaviors and keep falling back into old patterns
- You’ve resigned yourself to the fact that “this is just the way I am, I don’t like it but I can’t change it”
- You have a chronic illness, phobias, or allergies; these are often made worse by your thoughts and emotions
- You are holding onto deep unconscious beliefs that drive your behavior, such as I don’t have what it takes, I’m not worthy, I’m stupid
What clients have to say
“Before my Breakthrough Session of MER, I described my stress level as a 9 out of 10 due to the severity of my medical situation. After meeting with Karen, my stress level was a 2. I am feeling grounded and have released my anxiety. Thank you, Karen, I am so grateful!”
“I’ve tried so many different avenues, and this is the single most helpful thing I’ve ever done.”
“The body keeps the score.”
–Dr. Bessel Van Der Kolk
Book a consult if you think maybe you are feeling interested
If you're liking The
Catholic Midlife Podcast,
Download the free guide:
We are Karen and Curtis Herbert, founders of The Catholic Midlife. Our mission is to spark a catholic midlife renewal and help YOU to step into your next season with purpose, hope, and a clear vision for the rest of your life.
Because the rest of
your life matters.